It is He Who created you from a single person, and made his mate of like nature, in order that he might dwell with her (in love). When they are united, she bears a light burden and carries it about (unnoticed). When she grows heavy, they both pray to Allah their Lord, (saying): “If Thou give us a goodly child, we vow we shall (ever) be grateful.”
Islamic Nikah – Marriage Services
Nikah is a great blessing and worship. In Sharia, law Nikah is viewed as a contract by both parties agreeing to live as husband and wife in accordance with the Quran, and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Was Sallam). Having a relationship outside the bond of Nikah is totally prohibited in Islam and is a major sin.
According to Islam, both men and women have rights over each other when they enter into a contract. Ensure you are ready for your Nikah and fully aware of the consequences and responsibilities of Nikah. Thus, we encourage you to read up on this topic and make yourself aware of your responsibilities.
An appointment with the Imam of the Masjid is required for Nikah services.
Please Note: We do NOT perform online/virtual/phone nikahs
Step 1: The Islamic Wedding contract is a solemn oath between the spouses and families and their responsibility to each other in front of Allah (God) which requires:
- The offer of marriage and acceptance freely and willingly
- The Mahr (Dowry): One of the essential elements of a Nikah is that the man agrees to pay the woman a dowry. The dowry is not a gift, and is a mandatory requirement for all men whereby an amount of money or possessions with monetary value is paid to the woman at the time of Nikah ceremony or later in the future for her exclusive use.
- The “Wali” (Guardian) of the bride if available
- Two Muslim male witnesses* for the Nikah Ceremony
*The bride and groom must provide at least two Muslim, male witnesses for their nikah ceremony, of which the “Wali” does not qualify. The masjid will not provide these witnesses.
Step 2: Obtain a Marriage License from your Local County Courthouse.
The original marriage license and the provided return envelope need to be given to the Imam on the day of your Premarital Counseling Session or by the Nikah Date at the latest.
Step 3: Submit Nikah Service Request form. Please be sure to do this at least two weeks prior to the ceremony.
Step 4: Submit documents and administrative fee.
- Marriage Licenses and provided return envelope
- Administrative fee:
- (On-Site at Masjid) $50 for paying-members of Islamic Center of Greensboro, $100 for non-paying members.
- (Off-site at a separate location) $100 for paying-members of Islamic Center of Greensboro, $150 for non-paying members.
- Policy Regarding travel of Imam off-site: Please note that the Imam is volunteering his own time and transportation which is not included in the Nikah Administrative Fee.
**Providing false or inaccurate information may result in a void Nikah. The Masjid will not be held responsible if pertinent information is withheld at the time of Nikah.**
All of the above-mentioned is for your general guidance only. It should not be taken as the law. You should seek independent professional advice as relevant to your circumstances. We only conduct the Nikah, and we do not provide any legally binding advice, etc.
Marriage Ceremony Form
Please fill the form and click on ‘Submit’ button