What is the ICG?
Who We Are
What is the Islamic Center of Greensboro (ICG)?
ICG is a non-profit, non-political, tax-exempt organization (with Tax-ID: 56-1849092) that has been formed exclusively for educational, religious, and social purposes. It is registered with the Internal Revenue Service under revenue code 501(c)(3).
ICG serves a growing diverse community that includes people from various cultures and ethnicities. ICG strives to increase awareness of the essence and beauty of Islam upon its correct principles to cultivate and educate ourselves, as well as the community in general. ICG is committed to civic and civil engagement with communities of other faiths and society at large.
The purpose of the Center shall be to advance the cause of Islam and serve Muslims of the Greensboro, NC area and to enable them to adopt Islam as a complete way of life. The organization is operated and maintained by those who believe and testify “There is none worthy of worship except Allah and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger”, establish the Salah, pay the zakah, fast during the month of Ramadan and make a pilgrimage to Makkah within one’s lifetime. The goals and missions include:
- Serving the best interest of Islam and needs of Muslim community of Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Helping the international Muslim community of Greensboro, NC to carry out activities in pursuance of Islam as a complete way of life.
- Providing a place of worship to carry on religious, educational and other Islamic activities.
- Presenting Islam to the followers of other faiths and promoting goodwill between Muslims and non-Muslims (Dawah).
- Performing last prayer for the deceased members of Islamic faith.
- Assisting the Muslim community in all forms of local Islamic needs such as guidance on marriage ceremonies, funeral arrangements and burial services.
Since inception, ICG has been diligent in adhering to the correct understanding of Islam (Ahl al-Sunnah wal Jama’ah) according to the Qur’an (the Book of Allah) and Sunnah (the authentic teachings of the Prophet Muhammad sallallahu ‘Alaihi was sallam) as understood by the rightly guided predecessors and scholars.
The purpose of the Center shall be to advance the cause of Islam and serve Muslims of the Greensboro area and to enable them to adopt Islam as a complete way of life. Towards this end, the Center shall:
- Carry out worship and religious services, charitable and other Islamic activities
- Strengthen relations among Muslims
- Promote friendly relations and understanding between Muslims and non-Muslims
- Promote cooperation with other Muslim organizations
- Do, in general, any and all activities and exercise any and all powers, which may now or hereafter be lawful for the Center to adopt and execute for accomplishing the purposes of the Center
In early centuries of Islam, the mosque served as a central place for the political, educational, religious, social and cultural activities of the Muslims.
In today’s society, there is such a need to expand the role of a mosque. From mere prayer halls, the new edifices have evolved to become community centers that cover various aspects of a Muslim’s life. They aim to develop and grow a healthy and intellectual Islamic society. These institutions provide the population with a strong foundation; starting from an Islamic grounding to the development of qualities like leadership, charisma, power to inspire and promote the true values of Islam.
It is with this vision that the Islamic community of Greensboro has been working to establish an institution that would serve as a cornerstone in promoting activities reflecting Islamic identity, values, education and true brotherhood among the Muslims.
For the vision to become a reality, it is imperative for the Islamic community center to have an Islamic school and a library to educate the Muslim children in the vicinity of a mosque. A multi-purpose hall and gymnasium will provide facilities for sports and social activities for the children, the youth, the ladies and the elders.